Southwest Holds Second-Lowest Jobless Rate
Our region again has among the lowest unemployment rates in the country.
At 3.2% unemployment, Swift Current/Moose Jaw is tied with Lethbridge/Medicine Hat for the second lowest rate in the country. They trail only South Central Manitoba at 3.1%
That’s a drop for our region from a 4.2% unemployment rate at this time last year.
There were 51,800 people working in our region in September, an increase 2200 people from September of 2012. The labour force also rose by 2600 to 53,400 people.
Saskatchewan’s unemployment rate is also down from 4.9% last year to 4.4%. Full-time employment was 465,100 last month, the highest ever for the month of September and up 11,800 from a year ago. More than 80% of the new jobs created in Saskatchewan in the past year were full-time jobs while across Canada, fewer than half of the new jobs created were full-time.
There were 555,500 people working in the province in September, the highest ever for that month. That’s an increase of 14,700 jobs compared to last September.
via Local News http://www.swiftcurrentonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23806:southwest-jobless-rate-second-lowest&catid=13:local-news&Itemid=355
- Saskatchewan’s full time jobs hit record high in September and still has lowest unemployment rate (gulllakesk.ca)
- Canada Jobless Rate Lowest Since 2008 on Youth Dropouts (bloomberg.com)
- Young people dropping out of the workforce amid high youth unemployment (o.canada.com)
- Canada’s jobless rate falls to 5-year low as youth give up job search (business.financialpost.com)
- Local Job Numbers Again Strong (gulllakesk.ca)