Pictured are the Grade Two Students who attended Gull Lake School in 1958.
By Craig Baird
Gull Lake has changed a lot over the years, and, just like the rest of the world, great change came in the 1950s. The Second World War was over, the economy was booming, and society was changing, and Gull Lake was no exception.
Mayor F. Logan was elected to council in 1950. That same year, council got down to installing propane gas in the town through Mid-Way Propane Ltd. Council was also petitioned to provide a barn for farm teams. George Hawthorne resigned as the utility man, to be replaced by C. Huntley who would be both constable and utility man.
In 1951, Mayor F. Logan was re-elected and the town began upgrading the street lighting in the business area through Power Corp. The town also received some good news when it received the highest sanitary score in the entire health region.
In 1952, Logan was once again elected as mayor, and the town purchased a well from J.F. Melville at lot 9, block 21. The town also sold its old light standards for one dollar each. New road signs were ordered in town, including signs to enforce the 20 Miles Per Hour speed limit in town. Pioneer Co-op purchased several lots near block 100.
In 1954, Council ruled that all buildings being moved into town had to pass an inspection. Council allocated block 48 and 101 for a school site after being approached by Larger School Unit. Mercury vapor lights were installed on Station Hill, and Gull Lake once again received the highest score in the health region for sanitation.
Mayor Partridge was elected in 1955 and Lloyd Turner took over as utility man before resigning in April. C. Huntley would take over Turner’s position. Town council spoke with the police to cut down on speeding in town, especially near Station Hill. Council passed a by-law that required only pasteurized milk and cream to be sold in town.
Mayor Partridge continued in his post in 1956, and the new high school was officially opened. A request was sent to Power Corp to have natural gas piped into town, and cement sidewalks were built. Natural gas was officially installed thanks to the Saskatchewan Power Corporation, which purchased lot 9 block 12 for purpose of installing gas control equipment.
Mayor Partridge was elected again in 1957, and council donated $2,500 to the Rink Committee to pay for heating equipment and new wiring in the rink. The United Church approached council for the purpose of building a new church. The installation of TV antennas were also discussed by council.
Mayor D. Schoneck took over as mayor in 1958, and council implement complicated rules relating to dogs running at large and dog licenses. The mill rate for the school was set at 31 mills and town streets were officially opened with bulldozers when it snowed. A site for the new hospital was chosen and the RCMP spoke to council about purchasing two different properties in town. Council ordered that Glory Café be cleaned up or it would be closed down. Cemetery road had gravel put down and more cement sidewalks were constructed.
Mayor Schoneck continued in his post for another year. Council and the Canadian Legion suggested the formation of a community band. Fire chief Gamble resigned and W. Bowes was appointed. The fire department decided to limit the fire calls to within three miles of town. Council looked into issue debentures for $88,000 to bring in a new water and sewage system, and the town purchased five acres south of the cemetery for an addition cemetery. The truck route was also established in town.
The 1950s were certainly a busy time for Gull Lake as the municipality continued to grow and change with the times.