Communities in Bloom Evaluation Day
Today the Communities in Bloom Committee was pleased to welcome CiB Judges Larry and Donna Hall. The day started at 9:30 AM with the Judges asking the Committee a variety of questions about the community. CiB Committees must submit a Community Profile when entering the CiB program. The Profile Book helps judges by providing them with essential information they need to evaluate the community. The Judges were noticeably impressed with the Community Profile that was submitted this year, and they said it was really informative and well done.
At 11 AM, Judges were taken on a downtown tour that included tours of the Wong Guy Shoe Shop, Xirescape Garden, Swimming Pool, and Lyceum Theatre. Then after lunch the Judges were taken to the Senior Centre, Cemetery, Autumn House, Gull Lake Special Care Home, Gull Lake Recreation Centre, Green Power Ball Diamonds, Little Green on the prairie in the Park, Campground, Museum, and Landfill.
After the tours were done the Judges concluded their visit with a short wrap up session with the Committee, and the day ended at 4:30 PM. Gull Lake is competing with two other communities in our category those being Eastend and Ituna. Now we will have to wait until October when evaluations, and our Bloom score will be announced.
While we will not receive our official results and evaluation until October, the Judges did have some positive things to say about Gull Lake. The Judges had good things to say about the following:
- They were impressed with the many Recreation Facilities we have that other communities our size do not. They were also very impressed with the how well the Green Power Ball Diamonds were maintained.
- Murals on the Curling Rink and how well the Little Green on the Prairie Park in addition received some very positive comments.
- They enjoyed the tour of the Wong Guy Shoe Shop and the Lyceum Theatre.
- The Cemetery they felt was well maintained.
- The Landfill they felt was well maintained.
- They were impressed with the decision made by Council to run water lines to the new subdivision for outdoor watering. They were also pleased with the level of commitment and support Town Council gives to the CiB Committee.
- They said the Town was very neat and tidy and many yards well maintained.
The Communities in Bloom Program is not about flowers its all about community pride. The Town is not just evaluated on CiB Committee Projects, the entire town and all of its facilities are evaluated. The CiB Committee and Town Council is grateful for the efforts made by residents, businesses, groups, organizations and Town Crew that all help to make Gull Lake a Great Place to live!!