Last year the Gull Lake CIB Committee had a great year scoring four blooms in the competitive category. This year the committee is looking forward to completing a number of community beautification projects. The following is a list of some of the initiatives planned for 2016:
- The annual “Nominate Your Neighbor” competitions, including, Backyard Competition, Curb Appeal Competition, Floral Display Competition, Vegetable Garden Competition.
- The Fence between Guang Dong Palace and Lilly’s Kitchen and Bar will be stained.
- Phase II of the Xeriscape Garden by The Advance will see the inclusion of a rail fence, retaining wall by the sidewalk, additional garden beds and a number of fruit trees will be planted.
- Town Council purchased a bench and bird house and have asked the Committee to place them at the Xeriscape Gardens in memory of Tony Olsgard.
- Plant and care for Flower Displays at various locations around town such as the entrances, park and wagon by the EMS Base.
- At the Little Green on the Prairie, the committee is planning to restore the Park Entrance Sign that lists the names for the individuals and businesses that helped create the park.
- The CIB Committee will be approaching the Tourism Committee to help in the restoration of some of Downtown Heritage Walking Tour signs that need some new lettering.
- The Committee will once again be recognizing two yards each week on the Town Website
In addition to the CIB initiatives the Town Crew will be working hard keeping the streets clean, painting curbs and helping the committee with the hanging of the baskets on the poles on our entrance streets and downtown.
The Communities in Bloom Committee Need Your Help
The Communities in Bloom Competition is all about Community Pride, and our town certainly has a lot to be proud of. The entire community is evaluated in six different areas Tidiness, Environmental Action, Heritage Conservation,Urban Forestry, Landscape, and Floral Displays. When Gull Lake first entered the competition 2013, we scored just two out of five Blooms and last year we scored an impressive four out of five blooms.
With so many projects planned this year the committee would appreciate any help you can offer. If there is a project that interests you, or you just want to help, the CIB Committee needs you. There will be a meeting on May 4th @ 7PM at the Town Office and everyone is welcome to attend.