Gull Lake Cemetery Grave Cleaning Complete
This year the Gull Lake Cemetery Committee took on a grave cleaning project to improve the look of the cemetery. Many of the grave covers and headstones were covered with a rust coloured moss that was obscuring the names on many of the headstones. Volunteers have been cleaning the graves over the past few months and finished the last grave today.
The entire project was done by volunteers, and some of the equipment was donated to help get the job done. It took approximately 9,000 gallons of water and to clean the nearly 800 graves in the old section I would like to extend big thanks to the following people:
- Volunteers Les and Bev Potter for helping me with grave cleaning and donating the water pump and tank.
- Jim and Mary Heylar for allowing volunteers to use their flat deck trailer to transport the cleaning equipment.
- Cemetery Committee members for getting this project moving forward.
- Town Council for providing the power washer and new leaf blower.
- The Town Crew for doing a great job keeping our cemetery grass cut and using the new blower to keep the grass off of the graves.
The Cemetery Committee will be monitoring the grave covers and headstones and cleaning them as necessary on an annual basis.