- The majority of staff reductions are a result of attrition through retirements and resignations, as well as relocating 25 teaching support personnel from central office back into schools. For example, some learning coaches will return to the classroom as teachers and youth workers have been offered open positions as educational assistants. Unfortunately, some of these changes resulted in a loss of position for 9 people who were laid off with notice and severance. The Board is pleased, however, that the majority of impacted staff have been reassigned.
- Out of an approximately $1.35 million in central office staff reductions, 43% were senior administration positions.
- The Chinook Human Resources department followed a proactive communication process that included informational meetings with employee groups following the provincial budget. Once the budget was announced, consultations were held with individuals affected by the change to discuss options, answer questions and plan next steps.
- There will be some reduction in support services such as Speech Language Pathology, Occupational Therapy, Counseling, and Educational Psychology. Our HR department has reached out to other school divisions and the local Health Region with the purpose of helping to place some of the personnel who are affected. We are creating a new model for service delivery for students who require supports for this upcoming year.
- The actual budget impact is greater than expected and the Board will need to find another $3.3 million beyond the amount originally anticipated. The Board is reviewing future steps and has recommended using some of our existing reserve funds to mitigate the impact this will have on schools during the next year. Ministry approval is required to use reserve funds and we will work with them to explore options. The use of reserves is a temporary solution and is not sustainable long-term, but should help carry us through the next couple of years.
Joanne Booth, Communications Coordinator
Chinook School Division
Phone: 306-778-9200 Ext 218