The Gull Lake Heritage Committee made a recommendation to Town Council that the Elks Hall be declared a heritage property. The committee consulted with the Elks and researched the history of the property to determine its eligibility be a heritage property. The research shows the history of the building more than qualifies it to be declared a heritage property.
The Elks Hall was built in 1940 built by Bob Irwin a local carpenter and a host of community volunteers. Over the years, the hall has been a social hub with many gatherings such as bingos, dances, meetings, voting polls, flu shot clinics, dancing lessons, community suppers, funerals, funeral luncheons, and other activities. Many years ago, the building also had a bowling alley and Cadet rifle range.
It goes without saying that the 77-year-old building would not have been a part of our community if it were not for its caretakers. The past and present members of the Elks that built the hall have cared for it ever since. Over the years, the Elks and former Royal Purple members held many fundraisers at the hall raising large amounts of donations that have gone to many community groups and projects in need of, help. Seventy-seven years helping the community is a great accomplishment that all Elks and Royal Purple members past and present should be proud of.
The Town Council reviewed the Heritage Committees recommendation, and a motion was passed to have the Elks Hall designated as a Municipal Heritage property. The designation recognizes the property’s heritage value to our community. It also legally protects the property and makes the property eligible for financial assistance from the Saskatchewan Heritage Foundation.