Welcome to the Town of Gull Lake. Join us as we look to the future with hope and determination to meet the challenges which face us in the generations to come!
The Town of Gull Lake is a progressive community, located 56 km SW of SWIFT CURRENT at the junction of Highways 1 and 37 in the heart of oil country. The town site is situated on what was once part of the 76 Ranch, established in 1887. The 76 Ranch House, built in 1888, is one of southwestern Saskatchewan’s oldest existing buildings. The 10,000-acre 76 Ranch at Gull Lake was one of several massive ranches established by Sir John Lister-Kay’s Canadian Agricultural, COAL and Colonization Company. In 1905 the Gull Lake block was sold to American millionaire developers Conrad and Price; they surveyed the town site and put up the lots for sale. Settlers began to pour in, agriculture superseded ranching as the main local industry and between 1906 and 1912 Gull Lake was booming. In 1912, Gull Lake already had a well-established school, many businesses and services, a doctor, a hospital and a newspaper.
With the discovery of oil and gas in the 1950’s the town has continued to prosper. Today, farming, ranching, oil, and gas still form the basis of the local economy; there are two inland grain terminals; and numerous oil businesses, pump jacks, gas wells, and battery sites which dot the landscape. Wind power is another important energy resource that is being developed in the Gull Lake area; and the view south of Gull Lake toward the giant windmills of the Bench Hill, Saskatchewan’s first wind farm, has often been photographed and painted by visiting artists and tourists. Local residents are justifiably proud of this wonderful achievement.
Gull Lake has ever been a forward-looking community and was one of the first rural communities in Saskatchewan to have high-speed internet access. Gull Lake’s convenient location at the junction of the TransCanada Hwy and Hwy 37 makes Gull Lake perfectly situated for business or for residence with easy access to larger communities such as Swift Current to the east or Medicine Hat to the west, and other areas north and south besides on Hwy 37. Residents here get the benefits of a healthy, small-town atmosphere to raise their children with larger city services within easy driving distance.
And Gull Lake has not stood still in other areas either. It is a highly developed and prosperous community boasting many local amenities such as swimming pool, a modern ice arena and recreational complex, a well regarded Kindergarten to Grade 12 school, community ball diamonds, a health centre with on-site doctor, a town library and, as of August 2012, a fully upgraded digital movie theater.
As Gull Lake faces a new century, the pioneer spirit of the old ’76 will continue to inspire Gull Lake residents to thrive and prosper. We look to the future with hope and determination to meet the challenges which face us in the generations to come.
Southwest Census Division 4
Post office Founded 1884
Incorporated (Village) 1909
Incorporated (Town) 1911
Area: Total 2.50 km2 (1 sq mi)
Population (2016): Total 1,045
Density: 386.0/km (999.7/sq mi)
Time Zone: CST
Postal Code: S0N 1A0
Area Code: 306
Highways: Highway 1 and 37