Penalties and Discounts
1. The Current Tax Levy shall be considered due on the first day of January in each year.
2. For prompt payment of Current Levies the following discounts shall be allowed following payment in full of current levy:
a) Payment in full received on or before the 31st day of August – a discount of 5%
b) Payment in full received during the month of September – a discount of 2%
3. Where the taxes remain unpaid after the 31st day of December of the year in which they are imposed they shall be deemed to be arrears of taxes. A penalty of 8% shall be added there to. An additional penalty of 6% shall be added to all arrears as of January 31.
4. Where payments are received prior to the completion of the tax roll, the payment shall be estimated on the basis of the taxes levied against the property for the preceding year.
5. The discounts authorized under the provisions of section 2 of this Bylaw shall not apply to local improvement taxes nor charges placed on the tax roll for collection.
6. If your taxes remain in arrears, a tax lien will be placed upon your property.
This means the Town has the right to pursue options under the Tax Enforcement Act including any or all of the following:
- civil action
- seizure of rent
- seizure of good and chattels
- take title of the property